Thursday, April 11, 2013

Organization = Sanity, Part II

So remember when I wrote about loving organization, and wanting to carry all my things with me always? Well, I've taken this to a new level.

I decided to invest in a good backpack. This is because, as much as I love tote bags and shoulder bags and messenger bags and all their semi-professional looking cuteness, I have started having back, shoulder, and neck pain in the past year. I'm sure this is not solely due to carrying my computer and other things on one shoulder (I also sit at a desk all day, then go home and mostly sit, and I don't think the way I sleep is ideal for my neck) but it can't be helping. Plus, I will be moving to a bigger city soon, and might need to carry my stuff not just to the car and into the office, but walking several blocks to the bus stop or, if I get over my fear of other cars, maybe even while biking.

I'm also kind of sick of carrying a purse, especially when I have to carry a purse along with my computer bag. Feminspire, one of my new favorite sites, has a great article about women, purses, the social pressure to carry a purse, and the lack of legitimate pockets in clothing designed for us. When examining my purse, there's really a small amount of things that I absolutely need all the time (debit card, driver's license, cash, insurance cards, phone, keys, inhaler), a few things I need some of the time (tampons, checkbook) and the other things in my purse are occasional use/no use items (hairbrush, notebook for writing, iPod, sunglasses, etc.). I decided that I can carry a small wallet that also holds my phone, and can be tossed in the backpack or used on its own, and everything else can just live in the backpack.

Plenty of reason to invest in a backpack.

But the real reason I'm super excited about this purchase? The real reason I can't wait for my package to arrive today?



COMPARTMENTS!!






This backpack is the epitome of organization. 
So. 
Many. 
Pockets. 
And. 
Compartments!
It has a specific computer compartment. An iPad compartment. Pockets for cords. Pockets for little notebooks and pens. A key chain. A pocket for your phone. Probably a compartment just for extra pockets.

I'm way too excited about this purchase. I've already gotten my little phone/wallet (it's called a wristlet, which is a weird term) and took it out to dinner last night. And when my backpack comes in, I'll toss it into the specific wristlet pocket (I'm sure this exists) and go! Of course, with my luck, once I move I'll probably work somewhere with a designated work computer and I'll never need to carry things with me again. I hope not.

So, here's to my latest attempt at over-organization!


3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of you taking your wristlet to dinner. You bought it a drink (but only one because it was a first date after all) and split an appetizer. I hope you two had a lovely evening.

    Where's the backpack coming from? Will you take it out on the town, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha there was a drink and an appetizer involved, though there was also a boyfriend. He was the third wheel. Ordered the backpack from the Apple Store (so I probably paid too much but it's an investment, and I could only get it there, and the reviews were good). I will probably take it out on the town. Definitely to Ajax. After all, it will have my notebook for jotting down writing ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, way to call out my badly worded sentence. I won't correct it, because your comment's just too funny.

    ReplyDelete