Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wanted: Writer's Group

I need a writer's group.

My boss, who is a publisher and an author, has a writer's group. I don't really know what they do, but I assume it involves encouraging each other and reading each other's material to provide feedback. And I want that!

I like to write. But I also like to watch episodes of Grey's Anatomy or The Walking Dead. I like to read fiction. I like to read magazines. I like to clean the house. I like to exercise. I seem to like anything and everything that can and will distract me from writing.

I do want to allow myself the time to relax after work, give my brain a little time off. But I need encouragement and reinforcement to make sure I'm focusing on my own work too. I need people to hold me accountable. I need someone who will say, "You have to have something written for me to read by the end of this week, or you owe me five dollars," or "You have to publish a blog post in the next two days, or you're buying me dinner." (I think losing money might be a good motivator for me.)

As much as I would love to take the easy route and use my sister and my boyfriend as my writer's group, I don't think that's gonna cut it. My sister lives in Chicago, so I'm not sure what our consequences for not completing work would be. My boyfriend is laid-back, and would just say, "Naw, it's okay, I don't want to eat out tonight anyway."

I'm gonna have to suck it up and get over (some) of my introversion. I'm gonna have to find people who write things I'm interested in, and who might be interested in my writing, and see if we can become friends, or at least colleagues of a sort. I need encouragement and I need to be pushed.

Now I just have to find these people.


Because sometimes Google image searches just don't cut it.


2 comments:

  1. Hey! Genie! Two things:

    1) Nifty blog, didn't know this was here. Also,

    2) I have the same problems, regarding needing people to force and/or beg me to write, and while I certainly go through phases of ignoring them completely, my group tends to be the folks over at www.Protagonize.com. You should check it out ;)

    ReplyDelete